A one-day masterclass for people considering a new approach to commissioning
Run over two half-days (mornings)
This highly practical session will help you to change the way you engage with your commissioner/provider partners to create a collaborative, asset-based approach to improving your service.
You will hear from a local authority commissioner about how they studied the homecare system in their area, before deciding to redesign it to better achieve what really mattered to service users, leading to improved outcomes for citizens, workers and costs.
Learn how to study your own service as a system.
Benefits of attending
- get an insight into a different approach to commissioning
- learn from others who have realised the benefits of commissioning in a different way
- understand at an introductory level the Vanguard Method and its application in People Centred Systems
- understand why it is critical to change the thinking that governs the way the system is run when transforming the commissioning process
- learn how to experiment within current procurement law
Who is the masterclass for?
- those working in People Centred Systems
- anyone who runs and manages front-line services in either the public, third sector or private sector (e.g. home-care commissioners, or advice line providers)
- anyone interested in using the skills, knowledge, and strengths of individuals in communities and localities when commissioning services
- policymakers in public services nationally and locally
- regulators and inspectors
Distance learning – due to the current social distancing restrictions, this programme will be delivered via a video conferencing platform, such as Zoom or Microsoft Teams. The course will be strictly limited to small groups to create value for each delegate and in manageable sessions with plenty of intervals to allow for comfort and refreshment breaks.
Simon has been helping leaders across the public, private and third sector move Beyond Command and Control for 14 years. Simon has been invited to speak on numerous occasions regarding his work, including at party political conference level, and was privileged to work on the Munro Review of Child Protection. He has taught how to undertake Serious Case Reviews, taught on the Cardiff Metropolitan Twenty/20 and Leadership for Collaboration courses, and was a member of the Welsh Government Technical Group for the Local Authority Social Services Performance Measurement Framework. His work has helped commissioners and providers create environments of mutual trust, leading to better outcomes and lower costs.
Brendan O’Donovan is Head of Research at Vanguard Consulting. Originally from a local authority background, Brendan joined Vanguard in 2007 and worked with Vanguard’s founder Prof John Seddon on a series of publications. Brendan has worked with a variety of organisations including local authorities, universities, the NHS, housing associations and charities to study the way they design and manage their work.
Brendan is also a tutor on a workplace-based People Centred Services course at Kingston University, helping those working in people centred services to improve people’s lives and reduce costs.
The cost to attend this ‘Beyond Commissioning’ event is £195 plus VAT per delegate.
This course runs on demand, please register to find out when the next course will run next by filling in the form below