Courses are scheduled to start in September and November 2021
Designing and leading effective people centred systems
If you want the needs of citizens to take priority over bureaucracy, to reduce costs, and you want change to be fast and reliable then this online programme is for you.
The Vanguard Method for people centred systems is tried and tested – you will follow the first steps that others have taken towards making dramatic improvements to the quality of services provided, thereby reducing operating costs and reducing demand on services. See what the pioneers say about it.
Who the course is for
This programme is for those working for public, private, and third sector organisations whose services are primarily concerned with people’s welfare. We describe these services as people centred systems. People who have already benefitted from our people centred systems courses include:
- Chief executive officers
- Directors and managers of adult social care services
- Directors and managers of children’s services
- Health and social care managers
- Housing and homelessness managers
- Commissioning managers
- Change, transformation and improvement leads
- Programme leads
We know that people particularly value the opportunity to learn alongside others from different organisations on our people centred systems courses.
It will be necessary for participants to identify a cohort of co-learners and leaders in their service and in partner organisations who they can work with during the programme.
Method of delivery
The learning will be through a combination of interactive workshops delivered live online, self-guided practical assignments and complete access to the Vanguard portal of online resources.
You will have independent learning and work-based activities in the form of videos, animated content, written work, and practical assignments to be completed in between live group sessions.
You will be able to apply what you learn immediately in your own workplace. Your practice will be validated through feedback from Vanguard experts, and the programme is designed around the application of the Vanguard Method to your own work setting, alongside a team of colleagues or partners.
On completion of the six-month programme, you will have the developed the following skills and knowledge:
Systems leadership skills
- An alternative vision for the design and management of your system
- An understanding of the true purpose of your system from the citizen’s point of view
- The intervention and leadership skills necessary to work with colleagues, partners and key stakeholders in the process of system change
- Knowledge of the best place to start when transforming a people centred system
- An understanding of different system archetypes
- The ability to work across organisational boundaries
Understanding demand, what matters, case mapping and flow
- The ability to lead an empirical analysis of demand coming into your system
- The ability to understand what really matters to citizens
- An evidence-based understanding of how well your current system is performing
- The skills to work with a team to map cases across people centred systems
- An empirical understanding of the barriers (or system conditions) affecting performance, and the thinking that created them
- The ability to identify the waste and the causes of waste in your system, and its impact on costs and capacity
- The ability to work with others to develop good measures in your own system
- Knowledge of how to use measures at different levels of the organisation and system
- The ability to tell a good from a bad measure
- An understanding of leading and lagging measures, and the economics of your system
- The ability to apply good measures within the parameters of regulatory frameworks
- The ability to establish the basis for a system redesign
- An understanding of the implications for roles and structures
- The ability to develop a new purpose and new operating principles for your system
- Developing intervention skills: applying Egan’s model of ‘the Skilled Helper’ in order to enable others to analyse their problems and develop action strategies.
You will be supported to continue your learning by taking part in our Alumni community of skilled interventionists after completing the course.
Everyone who completes the first systems leadership programme successfully will be eligible to apply for the second part of the systems leadership programme, which equips you with the skills to continue redesign and make sustainable system change.
This programme costs £2000 + VAT per delegate.
Secure your place
If you would like to discuss whether the course is suitable for you, please contact Emma Ashton at firstname.lastname@example.org